CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, June 25, 2009

just write...


...whether you darn like it or not.

25/06/09

11.16 a.m. I'm sitting at the teacher's desk in Form 4 class. I wonder if my students like this subject at all - English for Science & Technology. Let me tell you something - I'm trying to figure out how to make my students do their work. I forgot how it was when I was a high school student, a Form 4 student sitting and learning new things every Mondays to Fridays a few years back [in this very class]. Did I find school interesting? Or any of 'my' subjects interesting? Sure. I had one or two. I wish there was this subject during my time. 2001. About eight years ago. Geez. I'm that old already and these students are that much younger than me. Dang. But nevermind, everyone grows older by the tick of the clock or by the bell (school bell) that just rang. Oh, no! Not one student has handed his or her work yet? Am I that bad a teacher? Why am I in this proffession, anyway? Yeah. Because I had no choice? "Bagus jadi 'housekeeper' di hotel". That was nonsense. This whole piece of writing is nonsense. Just trying to keep and keep on writing without pausing. Well, to be be (Oh, no! I repeated the 'be') completely honest, I did pause but it wasn't for more than 30 seconds. Just to let you know - the second bell just rang. It's 11.30 a.m. Sharp on the dot! How? How?! How many will hand in their work? I've got fifteen students in this class. How many will do their work? How many will actually be responsible enough to hand in their work? The students from the other class are done. They are waiting outside. I'm going to stop writing. Give them the green light to come into the class. Whoooo....

Please excuse any found grammatical errors. It's not like I wanted it there.

Something I wrote in class while the students did the writing assignment I gave them. Except for the words in the square brackets, sentence four. No, I didn't bring my laptop to class. Just transferred what I wrote in my spiral-bound note book into the virtual surface of this blog. By the way, out of the fifteen students, nine handed in their work. The word 'tomorrow' (or perhaps a big fat 'never') is shaking its arse across their foreheads. No, I don't hate my students. It's more likely that they hate the teacher.

Okay, I need to go pee. I just had to say that.

3 left footprints:

daronloo said...

I'd say, regardless of how your students feel about the class. You should continue your enthusiasm. Students can detect when a teacher isn't ecstatic about a subject. Maybe you should spin a Beyonce tune in your class... perhaps Ring the Alarm or Greenlight, or maybe Diva.

Lola said...

agree with daron...maybe that will put the students into the mood! I should do that....rephrase...should dare myself to do that!

Lorena said...

Thanks you two! =)