CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Lost Generation


I've vowed to myself a few months back that I would learn up my mother-tongue and know it well by the end of this year.

I am nowhere near 50% of achieving this goal.

I belong to the dying generation of where one cannot converse in a decent enough conversation in his/her own mother-tongue. Who is it to blame? The parents? The children? The society? Or all three?

I have this secret plan.. if I ever have children of my own (and assuming that I still haven't mastered the language by then).. I will throw them into the 'kampung' and after a year, I will get them back and ask, "Have you learned how to speak the language?" If yes, then they may stay home and never return to the 'kampung'. Ever again. If no, I shall put them through another year of agonizing "proper language education" (the authentic-total-exposure way, I'd say).
*snickering away*

I am fortunate enough that this never crossed my parents' mind.


6 left footprints:

Jules said...

Haha! Imagine if our parents did that! :D But, maybe I would have been glad if they did that to me, because it would save me all the embarrassment of needing a translator whenever my paternal grandmother starts talking to me. Sungguh memalukan...

Deanna Beryl said...

I can only sigh.

Can't believe my Thai is better than my Chinese/Dusun. Then again, I feel more like a Thai rather than a Cina or Dusun or Sino-Dusun! I think the best way to describe me as a lost/sesat Sino-Dusun. Hahaha!

Tuelah I wish I knew how to speak at least one of my mother tongue...atukuui...

Bella Sofilia said...

ur so mean... if they can speak and u can't, what would u do? and ur children will bully u!!! u expect them to know but u dont even know...what the??? LOL

Lorena said...

Ya bah kan Julie.. Bagaimanakah semua ini bisa berlaku? Apakah kita akan bisa berbicara dalam mother-tongue kita one of these days??

Come! We renew our commitment to learn and speak it. 2009's resolution =P

Lorena said...

LOL! Dee at least you inserted that "atukuui".. haha! I'm sure you'll be able to pick up one of them (at least) one of these days. Must not give up. =P

Lorena said...

Yes Sondang! I'll be a mean mother. No lah.. actually while they are learning in the 'kampung', I'll get myself someone to teach me in my own comfort zone. Isn't that just sweet? =P