CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Truth About Cleo


I made a big mistake about Cleo's true gender. Story goes... my parents picked me up on Sunday afternoon and some time during the journey, I spotted something red in color as I flashed into the cage with the light from my hp - it looked bloody and somehow I dismissed it as food (???), and by the time I got home, I realized that Cleo actually gave birth in the car!! I was like, "OMGosh... all this while you were a female?!? NO WAY. I thought that Chinese lady said that you were male".

I must have misheard or stupidly thought that it was actually a male hammy. I thought at first it gave birth to two. I was glad. Then I saw another. Three. That got me a little uncomfortable with the new-found fact. I cleared the mess around the baby hamsters and another two were revealed. Five. I said, that has got to be it. I was wrong - there was one more in the 'house'. So... all together I got six baby hamsters. Makes that a total of lucky number 7.

Bad news. I lost one baby hamster today. I feel guilty and sad all the same. I panicked when I saw it at the base of the cage. Cleo had accidentally pushed it out of its 'nest'. My hands were shaky as I tried to retrieve the tiny body. It was still alive, but it wasn't all pinkish anymore. The color of warmth had left its body. I stubbornly denied that it was going to head that way. Not too long after, it slipped away. I didn't get rid of it straight away when I finally got the chance. I placed it back in the cage and thinking that it was still alive, Cleo brought it back into the 'nest'. That much I will tell.

I didn't know that such a little thing could make me feel this bad right now. I didn't even want those baby hamsters in the first place.

That's the bad thing about having a pet(s) and having that kind of attachment to it (them), that when it's (they're) gone, you definitely feel a small emptiness inside.

3 left footprints:

daronloo said...

omg how did cleo get pregnant? apakah ada hamster jantan yang miang lurking around? or was she already pregnant when u got her?

now u can buka kedai hamster and jual the babies :)

Deanna Beryl said...

whoah.i could almost picture the whole thing.

that's one of the reasons why i dont have pets. i can get very attached. :(

Lorena said...

daron: no la, no miang hamster around. i terbeli hamster yg pregnant oredi. haih.. i think sengaja the lady not kasi tau me so can get rid of it. nvm la. mau buka bisnes jual hamster la ni sperti yg dicadangkan. :P

dee: tu la kan, dee. if only we can keep pets without getting that sort of attachment. *sigh*